Ella's Angels

Nanny Factsheet - Registering with Ofsted

Why is it Beneficial for you to be Ofsted Registered?

  • Your Employers may be able to use Childcare Vouchers, Tax Credits or the Tax-Free Childcare Scheme to pay part of your wages. This will make you a more attractive employee.
  • It increases your professional status.


Who Can Apply?

Anyone who is caring for one or more children aged from birth to 17, wholly or mainly in the home of one of the children, for a continuous period of at least two hours in any one day or for a period of less than two hours where the childcare provided is part of arrangements that start or end before or after normal school hours.


There are certain requirements that must be met:

You must have:

  • A recognised childcare qualification
  • A current First Aid certificate
  • Relevant Insurance
  • DBS Certification and Update Service


What is it Likely to Cost?

Ella’s Angels recommends that the cost of the application (and associated costs of updating checks and qualifications) should generally be paid all or in part by the Family as they will receive the financial benefit from your registration.

  • £103 for the OFSTED application fee (including the DBS Check). This is also the ongoing annual fee. Any Nanny placed by Ella’s Angels will already have an Enhanced DBS check as well as being registered for the Update Service.
  • £70 - 90 for Public Liability Insurance per annum. We work with Nanny Insure. Click here for the website.
  • £70-100 for a full day First Aid course (if you are not already certified). We also highly recommend our local First Aid Providers (Click here for information). Please ensure that the course you undertake is OFSTED approved.
  • £89 for a recognised one-day Common Core Childcare Course offering qualification (if you are not already qualified). See HATA for more information on this course. There are other courses available.


What is the Process to Become Ofsted Registered?

For Nannies working in England, there are three essential elements to the registration process:

1. DBS Check with Update Service
2. Government Gateway Registration
3. Ofsted Childcare Register Application


1. DBS Check with Update Service

You must apply for a DBS check AND be registered on the Update Service if you wish to apply for Ofsted Childcare Registration.


a. DBS Check

You can apply online for a DBS check (Click Here ) by completing the form online and printing out an ID check form and finding a suitable person (the form includes a list of suitable occupations) to check your ID.

If you do not know anyone suitable to perform this ID check then you can pay for the check to be done at a Post Office.

The online application form starts by asking you for your Capita Organisation Reference. As you are registering as a Home Childcarer you need to use: OFSTEDP

Your DBS check may take several weeks to arrive.


b. Update Service

As part of the process you must register on the DBS Update Service.

If you are unsure if you have and active DBS Update Service, you should check your DBS update subscription status online (Click Here) quoting your Service ID.

If you have lost your Service ID you should contact the DBS Update Helpline on 03000 200 190.

To register on the Update Service you will need your DBS Application Form Reference number.

Once you have the Certificate you can start the Ofsted application form. You will need to enter your DBS number and confirm that it is registered with the Update Service in order to submit your application to Ofsted.


2. Government Gateway Registration

To use the Ofsted online application system you need to have a Government Gateway login. If you do not have this already, such as having used other Government online services, then you can create this via the Ofsted Portal.



3. Ofsted Childcare Register Application

Once you have a Government Gateway login you can proceed to login to the Ofsted Online system.

Enter your Gateway UserID and Password; you will be logged in to Ofsted Online.

To start a new application, select Online Applications.

You are applying to be a Home Childcarer on the Childcare Register, so select CR1 application. NB you must Home Childcarer and NOT as a Childcare Provider on Domestic Premises which is different.

The application has 5 main sections. On the left side of your screen you will see these listed. If you see more than these 5 sections then check that you have selected the CR1 form. At the top of the page you should see the heading Application form for the Childcare Register (form CR1).

Read each of the requirements carefully.

Qualifications Required

The Early Years Foundation Stage welfare requirements were introduced in September 2008 and have set minimum standards for training and qualifications as a pre-condition for Ofsted registration.


Before you register you must have completed a qualification at level 2 or above in an area of work relevant to childcare OR training in the common core skills for the childcare workforce.


Check your qualification here: http://www.education.gov.uk/eypqd/level2.shtml (Level 2 or above)


If you do not have a suitable qualification, you can attend a Common Core Course.


The Common Core Course is a basic level nanny qualification, recognised by OFSTED for registration purposes and undertaken in one day with some online elements. We recommend the specialist service provided by http://www.hatacademy.co.uk/


The course covers the 6 main skills set out in the Common Core:

  • Effective communication and engagement with children, young people and families
  • Child and young person development
  • Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the child
  • Supporting transitions
  • Multi-agency working
  • Sharing information


Childcare training is a government priority. You may find your local Early Years Development Partnership has money available to fund your course.


Most qualifications have a difficulty level. The higher the level, the more difficult the qualification is.


First Aid Certification

You must hold ‘an appropriate First Aid qualification’ obtained within the past three years.

See our list of providers here.


Insurance Required

Part of the requirements for registration include relevant insurance. As a ‘Home Childcarer’ you are required to have liability insurance in place at all times when caring for children throughout your period of registration.

We recommend Morton Michel.



Once checks are complete Ofsted will send an Invoice to your Contact Address. This invoice can be paid via the online system, follow the instructions provided on the invoice. It is always a good idea to print out (or save to PDF) the payment confirmation page, plus keep e-mail from the payment processor.



You are not registered until you receive your Ofsted Certificate. This certificate contains your URN (Unique Reference Number) which is the reference that is needed for parents to be able to use Childcare Vouchers, Tax Credits or the Tax-Free Childcare Scheme to pay part of your wages.

Ofsted may contact you to confirm details and request either a copy of certificates or the original of certificates. When sending original documents send them using Recorded Delivery. Ofsted will then return the documents as quickly as they can, often within 7 days.

Keep your certificate safe. Your Employer is entitled to ask to see it at any time and to replace it costs £5.